Imagine this scenario: A potential customer visits your e-commerce store, adds items to their cart, but abruptly leaves without completing the purchase. Frustrating. Fortunately, there’s a powerful tool at your disposal to recover these lost opportunities—abandoned cart reminders. According to a survey conducted by Barilliance, a leading company specializing in e-commerce personalization, their research unveiled a remarkable statistic: abandoned cart emails boasted an average global conversion rate of approximately 18% in 2019. This compelling finding underscores the immense potential of sending reminders to customers who abandoned their carts, potentially driving a substantial number of conversions. In this blog post, we’ll delve deeper into the significance of abandoned cart reminders and explore how you can harness their effectiveness to boost your e-commerce sales.
What is an Abandoned Cart Email?
The abandoned cart email is a powerful tool for e-commerce businesses to re-engage potential customers who have left items in their shopping cart without completing the purchase. This email serves as a convincing reminder of the products they showed interest in, incentivizing them to return to the website and finalize their purchase. The email’s ultimate goal is to encourage customers to complete their purchase and increase the business’s revenue.
Who Should Use Abandoned Cart Emails?
Abandoned cart emails are useful for any business that operate e-commerce platforms. They serve as reminders to customers who didn’t finish their purchases, helping online retailers recover lost sales. Service providers like travel agencies or event planners can also use these emails to remind customers to book services or upgrade subscriptions. Non-profit organizations can reconnect with potential supporters who showed interest in donations but did not complete the process. Ultimately, any business with an e-commerce presence can benefit from abandoned cart emails to recover sales, boost conversion rates, and improve customer relationships.
What Should You Include in Your Abandoned Cart Email?
- Craft compelling email subject lines that create a sense of urgency or highlight personalized offers.
- Include enticing visuals and detailed product descriptions in the reminder emails.
- Offer incentives, such as discounts or free shipping, to motivate customers to complete their purchases.
- Utilize social proof, such as customer reviews or testimonials, to build trust and credibility.
- Optimize your abandoned cart reminder emails for mobile devices, ensuring a seamless experience for mobile shoppers.
- Provide a clear and prominent call-to-action (CTA) button that directs customers back to their abandoned carts with ease.
Guidelines for Sending Abandoned Cart Emails and Follow-ups.
Figuring out the best time to send abandoned cart emails and how many follow-ups to send depends on various factors, such as your target audience, industry, and customer behavior. Nonetheless, here are some general principles to keep in mind:
- Send the first abandoned cart email within 24 hours to increase the chances of customers completing their purchase. It serves as a reminder and enticement for them to return.
- Sending a series of reminder emails improves conversion rates. Send 2-3 spaced out strategically to avoid overwhelming customers.
- Consider your audience’s behavior when sending follow-up emails. Space them a few days apart, like sending the second email after 48-72 hours and the third after 3-5 days. This gives customers time to think without feeling overwhelmed.
- Personalize follow-up emails based on customer behavior with dynamic elements like abandoned products, personalized recommendations, or exclusive offers to increase engagement and conversion rates.
- Test different abandoned cart email sequences, intervals, and content variations to see what resonates with your customers. Analyze the results and refine your approach over time for maximum effectiveness.
When sending abandoned cart emails, find the right balance between reminding customers and not being bothersome. Know your audience and refine your approach to improve your chances of recovering lost sales.
Automating Abandoned Cart Reminders
To simplify and improve your abandoned cart reminder process, automation is crucial. By adopting an automated system, you can send personalized reminders promptly without any manual effort, saving your time. Many e-commerce platforms and email marketing tools provide automation features that are designed specifically for abandoned cart reminders. Using these tools, you can prepare customized email sequences based on specific customer actions, such as cart abandonment. Automating the process guarantees consistent and efficient follow-up, boosting the probability of converting abandoned carts into completed purchases.
Marketing Automation Programs We Recommend.
To set up abandoned cart reminders, use e-commerce platforms and email marketing tools. They offer many features to automate effective reminder campaigns. Here are some popular platforms to help you implement them:
- Shopify is a top e-commerce platform with a built-in feature for reminding customers about abandoned carts. You can also find plugins and extensions in its app store to send automated and personalized reminders to customers who leave their carts behind.
- Mailchimp is a well-known email marketing platform that offers powerful tools for creating customized and automated abandoned cart reminders. It seamlessly integrates with e-commerce platforms, allowing you to set up tailored email sequences and track your performance easily.
- Klaviyo is an email marketing automation tool designed for e-commerce businesses. It provides advanced segmentation and targeting options allowing you to create personalized abandoned cart reminders, increasing conversions.
- Omnisend is an omnichannel marketing automation platform specifically designed for e-commerce. With this platform, you can create advanced abandoned cart reminder workflows that use various communication methods, including emails, SMS messages, push notifications, and more. This helps you to engage customers and recover abandoned carts actively.
Implementing abandoned cart reminders is made easier with user-friendly platforms that offer pre-built templates and integrations with various e-commerce tools. Choose the platform that suits your needs best to maximize the impact of your abandoned cart reminder campaigns.